Review: Worlds with Ruby by C.P. Cabaniss

Photo and Summary from Goodreads
Summary: When Ruby finds herself on the edge of a cliff in a land between life and death, with an ominous creaking coming from the nearby woods, she is left with no choice but to follow it to its source. Nothing is what it seems and Ruby soon finds herself being whisked away to worlds beyond her imagination. Worlds in need of saving. Along the way, she discovers that in saving these worlds, she is saving herself.

Review: This author is in a Goodreads group with me and I got a notification that she was looking for reviewers for her book. Since no one had bothered to respond, I decided that I would take a chance to read this book. And while I did rate the book 2 stars, I don't regret reading it at all.

This book starts off with Ruby who just so happens to be dead. Almost as soon as the story begins, she's thrown onto this Ferris Wheel and taken to another world. This repeatedly happens throughout the entire book and it does make the story very interesting to read. However, I can't say that the story was delivered well. 

Let me start off by saying that this book is only 69 pages and that's definitely the reason why this book wasn't executed well. It's too short. The scenes moved way too quickly and that made the story kind of boring to read. Another problem with the events in the story was that almost everything in this book lacked conflict. Literally, you would go to the scene expecting to be on the edge of your seat since Ruby has to save these worlds, only to find the solution to the entire problem very simple. Simple can be a good thing, though. In this case, it wasn't done well because there wasn't any foreshadowing and explanation for why the solution to basically this entire book was to SPOILER ALERT: sing a song. A lot of these problems could have been fixed easily, though. She just needed to make the story longer and more edgier scenes to make it phenomenal.


Photo from Google Search
I also didn't like the characters in this book. Like any of them and it wasn't because they weren't good characters. I just didn't know them at all because of how short this book was. Before I get to the two main characters, I'll start with the minor characters that literally appeared on two pages and then disappeared the next. Sometimes there's a need for that and in this case, it did make a sense why the author did it. Those characters were only there to push the heroine along her journey and it would have been fine for me if those characters didn't feel so bland. They all blended together for me and in my opinion, each character should have something noticeable about them. The main characters, Ruby and Damon, kind of fall into this trap also. They blend in with all of the other stereotypical YA protagonists and like every other trope, it's fine as long as you make it at least a little different. I guess in this case, they were different in the sense that Ruby and Damon were dead while the other heroes were alive. Because the book was so short, I couldn't get a sense of who Ruby and Damon were. For Ruby, I knew that she was dead and that she could sing but that's about it. For Damon, all I knew about him was that his eyes were very green (literally talked about his green eyes every time she had a conversation with him). It just felt like the author didn't even know her characters because the dialogue was off and the characters themselves were just bland. The diversity in this book also lacked. There were two characters of color but they had about three lines each so they weren't important.

Photo from Google Search
To end on a positive note, I will say that I did like this world. I loved the idea of people dying and then going on a ferris wheel to go wherever they needed to go so that they could help someone is very interesting. It's what attracted me to this book in the first place. The descriptions were also very pretty and helped me imagine each world that she was in.

Diversity: 0 stars
Plot: 1 star
World Building: 1 stars
Characters: 0 stars
Enjoyment: 0 stars

Comments

Popular Posts