Book Review: Flawed

Hello and thanks for tuning in! Today is another book review but I feel as though it's going to be very unorganized because my thoughts on this book are so unorganized. Anyway, let's get to it.

Summary: You will be punished… Celestine North lives a perfect life. She’s a model daughter and sister, she’s well-liked by her classmates and teachers, and she’s dating the impossibly charming Art Crevan. But then Celestine encounters a situation where she makes an instinctive decision. She breaks a rule and now faces life-changing repercussions. She could be imprisoned. She could be branded. She could be found flawed.

Review: The only reason I picked up this book is because of the cover. The main character is on the front cover and she's a person of color. Even though I don't like books with people on the cover, I love the fact that Celestine, this biracial girl, is on the cover. Like, that's rarer than Democrats and Republicans agreeing on something. However, it's not a #ownvoices so it might be missing some details about being biracial.

To make this review somewhat organized I'll split up the review into three parts of the story that I think make a novel amazing; character, plot and setting.

Celestine (Photo from Google Search)
With the characters, I can't say that I liked any of them. The main character, Celestine, is this perfect girl in the beginning of the book. She follows all of the rules and basically has the perfect life. I felt that she was very inconsistent as a person. The event that pulled her into the plot made her act so out of character. I knew that the author made her act that way to move the plot forward, instead of it being a natural thing for Celestine. As we continue with her character, however, she does stay the same for the most part. I feel as though she was supposed to be a relatable character and in a way she is but there was so many things that felt like the author was trying to make Celestine the next Katniss.Celestine was constantly saying how she didn't want any of this and that she didn't mean to be this iconic person but the author made her and it felt forced.

The other characters were just as bland as the main character. Her twin sister, Juniper, was the one I liked in the beginning because she was the one who acted like the iconic person but then it was like her and Celestine switched identities. Juniper became afraid and Celestine fearless. The two love interest and yes,  I think there is a love triangle in this book and while I don't hate them as much as some, this specific one was unnecessary. It starts with Art, the son of the villain and the good guy love interest. He was Celestine's boyfriend before all of the stuff happened to her. Then he basically disappears after she is on trial and when he does come back, either she is angry at him or he is angry at her. Then you have Carrick, the bad boy love interest, or in this case, the Flawed from birth love interest. It's kind of a love at first sight with them and I really hated that. Celestine always talks about how she has this connection with him even though they mutter maybe six words to each other. I understand in the heat of the situation, you are going to cling on to everything near you. But you don't say you are connected to someone you don't even know, especially if you already have a boyfriend.

The plot of this book could have had so much potential but it fell so flat for me. I love dystopian novels if they are done right and this just wasn't. First of all, this world makes no sense but we'll talk about that later. Second, I thought this book should have had more action. This book felt as if it was a prequel to the actual novel because of how it was basically about her denying that she was the person to save the flawed and telling us what was actually going on in this new world.

And speaking of this world, I really don't understand how billions of people could have let this happen. To be honest, it could have been in the parts that I skimmed in the beginning because it was just a bunch of info about what happened to the world. I would have actually read it thoroughly if the author hadn't decided to put those paragraphs in the first few chapters when I was trying to decide whether or not I wanted to read it. But even after that, I don't understand how they expect everyone to be perfect all the time. I would seriously be burned all over my skin right now if I lived in this world and I'm 18. That's not even half of my life. For the most part, these flawed people didn't do anything flawed. They did things based on their emotions which every human being has. All in all, the world wasn't very realistic so it kind of sucked.

I rated this book 2.5 stars mostly because there were some parts that I enjoyed in this book. However, most of it wasn't very good. I recommend that you skip this one but if you do want to read this book, you should probably borrow it from the library someday.

Comments

Popular Posts