Top Ten Tuesday #1: New to Me Authors

Hey! Welcome back (or welcome if you are new) to Dreaming of YA Books. Today's post comes from the Top Ten Tuesday blog, The Broke and the Bookish. I'll leave a link below to their blog. The topic for this week is the top ten authors that I have read for the first time this year. Hope you enjoy and comment below if you have any new authors that you have read this year.
-D.K. Wilson


10.) Sarah J. Maas, author of A Court of Thorns and Roses & Throne of Glass

So I read the first book from each of her series. The first book I ever read of hers was Throne of Glass. I was hearing such amazing things about it so I finally decided to see what all of the hype was about. Hate isn't the right word for how I felt about this book. However, I was let down a lot. I thought this book was going to be all badass but it was mostly about relationship drama. The second book I read of hers was A Court of Thorns and Roses and I have to say it was much better than her other series. This book is a Beauty and the Beast retelling with fae and sex. I think the only reason I liked this book better is because I liked the world that Sarah J. Mass created. I liked one of the love interest in the beginning but then he did something that I can't get over. I will not be continuing any of of her series because I didn't love them but I thought it was worth putting on this list because I didn't hate them. You might like it, though, since majority of the population does like her books.

9.) Heidi Heilig, author of The Girl From Everywhere
So this book I didn't love but I still enjoyed it. This story is about a girl who can travel anywhere in the world, even through different time eras. Then, her and her crew(or really her dad's crew) get in trouble because of her father's constant desire to go back to the time when his wife was alive. The whole idea of this book was amazing and I thought that the world that the she created was so beautiful that it kept me reading. I definitely recommend that you pick this up if you haven't and see if you like it.


8.) Ellen Oh, author of the Prophecy trilogy
I didn't hate this book but I felt like I was too old for it. The whole concept of the book was very interesting and I felt like it could have gone such a long way. A lot of it was very predictable and some of the characters were bland. This would have originally been two stars but I really like the world that she created because it's so different than all of the other fantasy kingdom stories I've read since it's not set in Europe. I'm still looking for more fantasy kingdoms like this and it was a nice change of scenery from the usual. So if you are new to fantasy or you're a young reader, I definitely recommend this book to you. If you're not those things, then don't pick this up but definitely look out for her other works because I think she has potential.

7.) Justine Ireland, author of Promise of Shadows and Vengeance Bound

Okay, so from  Justine Ireland I read Promise of Shadows. I'm still kind of conflicted on how I feel about this book because I finished it a couple of weeks ago. I picked this up, not really knowing what this book was about but knowing that the author was a black woman. So at the beginning of the book I thought it was going to be good. This character was basically in jail and had to watch her back all the time because she killed a god. Then we get to the part where the love interest comes in so the main focus of the story basically changes to how they feel about each other. The main problem I had with this relationship is that it felt like insta-love. I mean, they knew each other before but we never see a quality that makes us love him, too. Then there is also the fact that there was a lot of info dumping, which I blame of the fact that the main character didn't know she was "the chosen one". This book was written in 2010 so that could be a reason why some of these things happen but I wouldn't recommend you buy this book. Maybe borrow it from the library someday.

6.) Renee Watson, author of This Side of Home
I freaking loved this book! I read this book in March, when I was so busy with my junior year of high school. I was really trying to find out who I was back then since people kept telling me I don't act like my race (I know now that's the dumbest thing to say to anyone because you can't act like a color). This book presented a girl just like me, dealing with issues of white people taking over her neighborhood and just battling change. She had so many things that I could connect to as a black girl and I loved that I finally found someone like me in a book. Even if you aren't a black girl, though, you should still pick this book up because seeing  someone else's lifestyle helps us to learn about each other.

5.) Alexandra Bracken, author of The Darkest Minds and Passenger
This book...just...OMG! I loved The Darkest Minds.. At first I was like it's just another dystopian but then I met the characters and I slowly started to cheer for each of them. I'm currently reading the second book (this one line just gave me chills) and I'm getting sucked back into the world. It's amazing. I have yet to read Passenger but it sounds good to me so I'll probably pick it up next year. If you haven't already read The Darkest Minds you definitely have to pick it up soon.



4.) Robin Talley, author of As I descended and Lies we Tell Ourselves
From Robin Talley, I read As I Descended and I really liked it. I don't read enough boarding school books so it was nice to read about these privileged kids. This book was based off of Macbeth, which is the only one of Shakespeare's works that I enjoyed. So there are murders happening, jealous people, ghost, everything to make me happy and engrossed in the story. I think the writing was really good, too. There are LGPBTQ+ characters in this book and racially diverse characters which I really liked. I will be reading her other book, Lies We Tell Ourselves probably next year also. Until then, you guys should pick this one up, too.

3.) Matt de la Peńa, author of Mexican White Boy and Ball Don Lie
From de la Peńa, I read Mexican Whiteboy. This book I devoured. I couldn't put this book down when I read it. Danny, the main character, is a light skinned Mexican because he's mixed and this book is basically about him having identity issues. Almost every issue that Danny faced in this book, I feel like I connected with that as a black girl. I think that's what made this book so eye opening to me. Like I already knew that we were all "the same" but it was still nice to see a book with a character who wasn't like me but  still like me, if you know what I mean. This author was supposed to come to my school this year, which is the only reason I picked up this book. However, I'm so happy that I did and I can't wait to read the rest of his books. If you haven't already, definitely pick up his books because he is a great writer.

2.) Jenny Han, author of To All The Boys I've Loved Before and The Summer I Turned Pretty 
This book was so cute to me and that's saying a lot. I don't like nor do I normally read cute contemporary fiction. However I had to pick up To All the Boys I've Loved Before because the main character is a person a color. Like when was a contemporary ever about a person of color? I surprised myself and my friends when I ended up liking this a lot. I think what made me love it so much was how I loved to Lara Jean Song, the main character. She was close to her sisters, she liked to cook and she was so adorable with Peter. I honestly can't wait until the last book of the series comes out and then I will start her other series, The Summer I turned Pretty. You should definitely read this Jenny Han's books, too.

1.) Renee Ahdieh, author of The Wrath and the Dawn series and The Flame in the Mist (2017)
Let me just say it, I loved this book. The world was just so beautiful and the characters had such good relationships with each other that I was cheering for everyone. I have to admit that I loved like every single boy character in this book, too, but I'm not ashamed. They were like my dream boy to the T and I seriously wanted to marry them all. I think what really made me love this book though was the world that the author created. Renee Ahdieh writes descriptions so beautifully that I was sucked into the world that was so different than the European kingdoms that almost every other author writes about. I really can't wait for her next book to come out. That cover is so beautiful and it's a Mulan, my favorite Disney princess. If you haven't already read this book, I really recommend it to you.

The link to The Broke and the Bookish:
http://www.brokeandbookish.com/p/top-ten-tuesday-other-features.html

Comments

Popular Posts