Book Review: A Star-Touched Queen

Summary: Fate and fortune. Power and passion. What does it take to be the queen of a kingdom when you’re only seventeen?Maya is cursed. With a horoscope that promises a marriage of death and destruction, she has earned only the scorn and fear of her father’s kingdom. Content to follow more scholarly pursuits, her whole world is torn apart when her father, the Raja, arranges a wedding of political convenience to quell outside rebellions. Soon Maya becomes the queen of Akaran and wife of Amar. Neither roles are what she expected: As Akaran’s queen, she finds her voice and power. As Amar’s wife, she finds something else entirely: Compassion. Protection. Desire… But Akaran has its own secrets—thousands of locked doors, gardens of glass, and a tree that bears memories instead of fruit. Soon, Maya suspects her life is in danger. Yet who, besides her husband, can she trust? With the fate of the human and Otherworldly realms hanging in the balance, Maya must unravel an ancient mystery that spans reincarnated lives to save those she loves the most…including herself.

Review: I was recommended this book by a friend on Twitter since I have been in a reading slump. I definitely did appreciate the recommendation because it was better than all of the books I've read lately. However, this book didn't really help my slump.

In the beginning, I thought the plot it was great. The author had a great beginning that entranced me. It started going downhill when Maya, the main character,  went to Amar's kingdom. It slowed down for me and became all about the romance between Maya and Amar. The fact that the plot was romance heavy wasn't the problem for me. It was the fact that there wasn't chemistry between these two characters and that's why the plot didn't fulfill the potential it had. I did find myself liking the last part of the book.

There's really only three characters of this book that are important. Maya, is a character that I didn't mind for the first part of the book but when she was with Amar, I hated her. She kept talking about how she was attracted to him and it was understandable because he attractive to me too. But I felt like she lost everything about herself when she was with him except for her beautiful appearance. Amar is attractive to me, like I said earlier, but he seemed to only be there for Maya. I guess in the plot it made sense but to me his character seemed to only be there to make Maya go on an adventure. That's part of the reason the romance wasn't good. They didn't seem like real people together. There's also the fact that they fell in love instantly. The other character is a spoiler so I won't talk about them. I just felt like their motivation was too cliche and that they weren't anything new.

The setting of this book is beautiful and that's probably because this author writes beautifully. Her descriptions were so beautiful to me which is why I love the world. I have to say they were a little strange to me but I think that's only because I'm not used to Indian culture. 

Overall, I think some people will enjoy this book but for the most part, it's not a book for the masses. I most likely will read the next book in this series because it's from the point of view of a side character that I enjoyed when she was actually in the story. If you read this book, what did you think of it?

Diversity: 1 ⭐
Plot: .5 ⭐
Setting: 1  ⭐
Characters: .5 ⭐
Enjoyment: 1 ⭐
Overall: 3.5 ⭐

Comments

Popular Posts