Fall Quarter Goals

Hello everyone! Before I begin, can I say that this picture to the side is how Fall should be. It shouldn't have temperatures in the 90's. But that's Illinois weather. Anyway, it's already time for a new set of quarterly goals. I have to say I'm pretty happy that I completed 6.5 out of 17. For most of the goals that I didn't complete, it was because I either couldn't complete them or because I had no desire to do them.

For my writing goals, I completed 1 out of 3, which isn't that great but I'm king of happy with it. I wrote 25,543 words in my manuscript. I was almost there but I was in such a writing slump with this story. Even though it is complete crap, I'm proud of that crap. This was the first time that I have written this many words in a first draft of any manuscript. I usually write the first draft in a notebook or something. I thought I'd try something different this time since I don't usually type the full draft onto the computer when I write it on paper. The next goal that I didn't complete was writing the short stories. I tried in the beginning to write these stories but the inspiration just wasn't there. The one and only goal I completed,was writing 9 blog posts and I think we can all see that I exceeded that. I think in total I wrote 20.  While it might not be more than some other bloggers, I'm ecstatic that I completed that many.

For my reading goals, I completed 1 out of the 7 that I had. The goal that I completed was beta reading. I finished not only the one manuscript I had in mind for this goal but also another one. I really liked the experience of doing this for authors so I'm thinking of doing it again. I didn't complete the Harry Potter books because they just weren't interesting enough to me. I blame it on the fact that I watched the movies, though, so I knew what was going to happen. I didn't complete The Young Elites because I was having trouble obtaining the books. I didn't finish the Lunar Chronicles just because I didn't really feel like picking up those books. The books on my bookshelf...I have no excuse for that. Beat the Backlog and Diversity Bingo books, I just wasn't thinking of them when I chose the books that I wanted to read.

With the life goals, I completed 4.5 out of 7 which I think is great. I completed my college checklist and my dorm shopping. I also finished the scholarship things that I had to do and I bought new clothes. This .5 is because I sort of learned about life but I'm basically still clueless. The last goals I just didn't do for very good reasons. I didn't do the vlogging goal because I just wasn't interested in recording my college experience. That's just not me. I didn't do the business plan goal because honestly, I don't know much about publishing to form plan around it. Which is why I have some of the goals I have for this quarter.

Now on to the new goals which I'm honestly happy to start. I'm hoping to get more than half of these done otherwise, I'll fail.

Reading Goals

1.) Read 2 books on writing: I really want to take this year and learn about writing. I feel as though I don't really know about the basics of writing.

2.) Read 5 articles on the publishing industry: I think that this will be doable since I usually skim over articles like this when I'm on the bus. But I'm going to make sure that I actually write down some of the points of how to get started.

3.) Read 10 books: I'm having a bad year when it comes to reading but I'm going to try and achieve this goal. Wish me luck!

4.) Research building an author website/platform: My goal is to have an author website by January 2018 and to do this, I should probably research what I should put on my website and how I should present myself to the world.

Writing Goals

1.) Finish the draft of Aaliyah's story: I'm happy that I completed the first 25,000 words of her story but I'm not done with it. In this quarter, I want to finish this draft so that I can finally say that I have finished my second novel. It shouldn't take too long since I'm making it a novella.

2.) Start making my scene list to my Wattpad story DWS: I want to start getting more people to know my writing and to do this I want to start with posting a novella on Wattpad and possibly make it the first book I put into the world for free. I need to plan out the novel first, though, and maybe actually write it.

3.) Plan Characters for DWS: I think this time around in my draft, I should probably get to know the characters because it was a struggle in Aaliyah's story to get through the scenes. The only reason it was hard was because I didn't know how she would react to the situations.

4.) Plan World for DWS: This was a struggle for me, also. In this first draft of Aaliyah's story, I didn't know exactly how I wanted the world to be and because of this, I know there's a lot of things in that draft that do not make any sense or they contradict each other.

5.) Write at least 15 blog posts: I managed to write I managed to write over 9 blog posts during the Summer and so I will be making an effort to make even more posts. This isn't a lot compared to how many posts I made during the summer but considering I'm in college, I'm not going to push myself too hard.

6.) Participate in #NaNoWriMo2017: I decided that I am going to do NaNoWriMo in 2017 and my goal is to get at least 25,000 words into DWS during this. This isn't the goal of 50,000 words but I'm not going to push myself too hard because a lot of stress makes my mental health suffer.

7.) Finish DWS: For NaNoWriMo I'm going to start the story but I'm going to try and finish it in December. Let's see if I can write this book in two months.

Life Goals

1.) Plan trip to Hawaii: When I tell y'all that I need a break, like I need a break. I haven't truly traveled anywhere and I think that since I'm going to be 19 this year I should probably try to travel somewhere. So with one of my best friends, we are going to plan a trip to Hawaii and I'm so stoked. I should probably learn how to swim first and maybe get over my problem with trying new food but I'm excited nonetheless.

2.) Apply to 3 scholarships and the FAFSA: I'm still a broke college student and with "president" we have now, I'm going to need as much money as I can get.

3.) Buy Christmas Gifts for my family: I'm very bad at buying gifts so I usually don't buy anything for anyone for Christmas. This year, I'm hoping to change that for no reason other than I think that it's time that I do it.

4.) Host a giveaway for blog 1 year anniversary: I'm making it to one year on this blog and I'm so excited! I really love doing this and I'm surprised that I have been posting a lot lately. I'm hoping that I continue this into next year and the years after that.

5.) Become closer to God: I'm a Christian but lately, I've been questioning so many things about the Christian religion because of many reasons. I do believe in God, though. I just want to get closer to him so that I can figure things out from him and not what people say what Christians are supposed to do or be like because honestly, it's really conservative and as a liberal, I don't like that.

6.) Revamp my Goodreads Group: I don't think I've mentioned it before on here but I have a Goodreads group that I picked up. However, it was already created before I got there and I just made myself the moderator since no one else wanted to. However, I'm realizing that the participation in it is really lacking and even though I might be to blame for that, I want to start from scratch. That's why I'm making a new reading group. There will definitely be more information on this later on.

What are your goals for this quarter? Are you participating in NaNoWriMo?

Comments

Popular Posts